This is a review for Dragon Naturally Speaking 11. There are many different versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking 11. In order for you to get the best results out of this software please read this article in its entirety. You may also discover it to be a quick easy way to save 30% or more on this amazing talk to type software.
In a hurry? Here is the Quick Review Summary:
Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 is a powerful piece of software enabling you to talk into a microphone and see your words transcribed on the screen. It has an extremely high built in accuracy which combined with a couple hours of training it to your voice will very often result in 99% or higher overall speech to text accuracy. The best price you can obtain this software for is available here:
You may want to read through the rest of the article to see which version is best for you. Or you can click here to Browse Dragon NaturallySpeaking Software
How does Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 compare with the free versions of talk to type programs provided by both Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7?
Both talk to type programs provided by Microsoft transcribed words faster. The problem is they aren’t as accurate as Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 can be mainly because of user profiles and the fact that it evaluates phrases at once before transcribing. If you’re doing any type of writing that involves a lot of words you will be able to write a lot faster with Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.
How much will I benefit from Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 talk to type?
How much you benefit from Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 will depend upon several things:
- How fast you type? The faster you type the less short-term results you have with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11. If you cannot touch type you will immediately benefit from the software especially if you’ve trained by reading for an hour or two. If you can already touch type you won’t benefit as much but you will be able to write faster very quickly. If you can type over 80 words per minute it may be a while before you see a great increase in speaking words over typing them.
- How clearly can you communciate your words? The clearer you talk and the less noise present the fewer mistakes you will see Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 make.
- How well your PC meets the Dragon computer system requirements? The more up to date your computer is the faster Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 will transcribe your words. This will also allow you to pause less as your constructing the next sentence.
- How willing are you to spend a little bit of time to work with the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 so it adapts to your voice? You can see significant improvements in the accuracy of transcribed words in under an hour of reading to the software successfully.
- How much do you type articles, papers or any long passages of writing on the computer? The more you use the software to write instead of type the more value you will get out of it. For any student this is an excellent piece of software that allows you to complete your work much faster.
What are the computer system requirements for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11?
- CPU: minimum 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel® Atom® processor. We recommend 1.8 GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. (IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set required)
- Processor Cache: minimum 512 KB. We recommend 2 MB.
- Free hard disk space: 2.5 GB (2.8 GB for localized non-English versions)
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7, SP1, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 and SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and SP3, 32-bit only
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008, SP1, SP2 and R2 SP1, 32-bit and 64-bit
- RAM: minimum 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008. We recommend 2 GB RAM for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008 64-bit.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher (free download at www.microsoft.com)
- Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording
- DVD-ROM drive required for installation
- Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included in purchase). See details at support.nuance.com/compatibility/ (includes Bluetooth microphones, recorders, and Tablet PCs
Which version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 is right for me?
There are three main versions Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 to choose from. The first version is Dragon Naturallyspeaking 11 Home. The main limitation with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Home is that it does not support transcribed recordings. Some of the other limitations include: not working in Excel or PowerPoint, cannot import or export vocabularies or users thus effectively no backup of user training, does not play back your speech, have a smaller vocabulary so it’s not as accurate, cannot be upgraded whenever the next version arrives so in order to get the latest version you have to buy it again. The other two versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 are Premium and Premium Student edition. Essentially the main difference between these two software’s is the discounted price first students or academic people.
The Amazon.com prices of all three software is is cheaper than the price off nuance.com. By comparison Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 Home is $47.94 on Amazon and $99.99 on nuance.com. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Premium is $129.96 on Amazon and $199.99 on nuance.com. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11 Student Edition is $79.99 on Amazon and $99.99 on nuance.com. As you can see there is a huge discount for the student version(was $17 more of a discount only a couple days ago). In order to qualify for the academic discount the following terms and conditions apply from nuance.com:
- Full-time or part-time students enrolled seven accredited higher or further education institutions including public or private universities or college (including community, junior, scientific, technical or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study.
- Students 13 years and older enrolled in accredited public or private primary, secondary, vocational or correspondence school providing full-time instruction.
- For part-time faculty and staff employed by an accredited higher or further education institution, public or private primary secondary vocational or correspondence school providing full-time instruction.
Make sure you meet all of the following conditions as nuance terms specifically state that all sales are final. It may be possible to get a refund but don’t count on it.
Additionally, you can find sometimes find this software for cheaper on EBay sometimes. I would highly discourage this type of purchase as very often you’re dealing with someone who doesn’t understand that the versions aren’t the same or you will get a pirated copy that will stop working after you load it a few times. Amazon has the cheapest legitimate price.
How well does Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 work in actual testing?
I did some testing across to computers with very different specs. My laptop had the following specs:
Intel Pentium dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60 Ghz 979 Mhz
1 GB of RAM
Windows XP professional with SP3 32-bit
I found from this computer it was somewhat slow in processing talk to type sentences and phrases. Sometimes it would lag from 15 to 20 seconds or longer and I would be waiting to speak the next sentence. I did some testing and for the most part it would accurately display multiple sentences despite the lag time. Unfortunately, I don’t think many people would have this much patience to use the software in this way. Therefore I would recommend that your computer specifications would be slightly higher than the system requirements stated by nuance.com.
The other computer I did testing on had following specs:
Intel core I7 950 @ 3.07 Ghz 3.10 Ghz
3.50 GB of RAM
Tested on Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista & Windows 7
I found this computer was much faster in processing talk to type sentences and phrases. The results normally repair within a couple seconds of finishing a phrase or sentence. I feel the more you use the “improve my accuracy” tool the more accurate your results become. Although, I believe my accuracy was around 95% right out-of-the-box it was probably extended to between 98% and 99% for the duration of this article. From this computer with this operating system which is Microsoft XP professional I only did about 30 minutes of talk training.
In closing Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 is an incredible piece of software that can enhance how fast you are able to write a variety of different things on the computer. If you want to purchase this software and you are a student I would recommend picking up a copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Premium Student Edition. You’ll probably find it useful to transcribed audio at some point if you are using the software. If you are in a student and you do not need the audio transcription portion of the software then it might be in your best interest to pick up Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Home. This entire article was transcribed using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Premium so I would highly recommend it if you have the money to purchase it.
Did this review help you make a better decision about Dragon Naturally Speaking 11? Support codeword.org by Google +1′ing or Facebook Liking the article at the top. If you’re already logged in to either network this should only take a couple seconds. Thank you!